SIU is proud to be an active endorser of Principles for Sustainable Events!
We are working hard to make SIU 2019 as "green" as possible! Here are some of changes we have made in our quest for a more sustainable event. This initiative is supported by representatives of global events, tourism and sustainability bodies and was launched in 2019 to "guide event organisers worldwide to embrace and implement sustainable practices."
By “going green” we at the SIU commit to gradually changing our operations to use products, work with suppliers and follow sustainable practices to have a less negative impact on the environment.
- Ceasing production of the large final programme to reduce paper use, environmental impact of production and shipping. The programme will instead be available digitally and SIU will replace with an enhanced programme-at-a-glance booklet and a more comprehensive Congress app.
- Reducing the amount of shipping related to promotional and printed items and other materials.
- Congress Lanyards will now be made of 100% recycled materials.
- Green eco-friendly badge paper will be used.
- The SIU will do its best to purchase locally, wherever possible
- The SIU will donate leftover supplies to local charities/schools
- Emphasize working with onsite suppliers with green initiatives already in place (hotels, decorators, shipping/freight suppliers)
- Encouraging suppliers to evaluate their environmental footprint
Small changes can make a BIG difference and every action taken helps ensure that SIU Congresses remain a force for positive change in the international urology community and the global community at large.